Categorical User Information
This page contains information, documents, and links related to Federal Categorical Regulations. Categorical Regulations, also called Effluent Guidelines, are federal limits and requirements for specific industrial categories that apply nationwide. Industrial Users subject to Categorical Regulations with applicable Pretreatment Standards or requirements are called Categorical Industrial Users or CIUs. All CIUs are automatically considered Significant Industrial Users (SIUs). The categorical limits for each CIU are compared to their POTW's local limits (Allocation Table), and the more stringent limits are applied.
The most common Categories used in NC are:
- 40 CFR 433 - Metal Finishing
- 40 CFR 439 - Pharmaceuticals
- 40 CFR 414 - Organic Chemicals, Plastics, and Synthetic Fibers (OCPSF)
GENERAL INFORMATION ON CATEGORICAL REGULATIONS
EPA Categorical (Effluent Guidelines) Website:
- Note: Only those categories with Pretreatment Standards for Existing Sources (PSES) and/or Pretreatment Standards for New Sources (PSNS) apply to Industrial Users discharging to a POTW (Indirect Dischargers).
- Click on "40 CFR Part" to get a copy of the actual regulation.
- For many categories, clicking on the name of the category will take you to the EPA's website for that specific category.
- For other categories, this will take you to a list of EPA contacts for that category.
EPA National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP) - Online Publication Title Index :
- Website for EPA's Guidance and Technical Documents, including Development Documents.
- For the more common categories, it is recommended to use the link above to access EPA's website for that specific category, if applicable.
EPA Industrial Wastewater Contacts In the Effluent Guidelines Program (Categorical Dischargers)
EPA Guidance on New Sources Determinations and New Source Dates
The 40 CFR headers below link to EPA's effluent guidelines webpage, including Rules and Preambles, Development Documents and more.