Groundwater Planning Branch
To support and improve North Carolina's groundwater protection program by identifying needs, applying science to assess the effectiveness of regulations and build knowledge of groundwater quality, and increasing awareness of groundwater quality concerns.
- Provide science support to regulatory programs and the DWR classifications and standards program
- Generate data and knowledge needed to understand and manage the state's groundwater quality
- Utilize existing data to build knowledge and understanding of the state's groundwater quality
Identify Needs and Build Resources in Order to Support an Effective Groundwater Protection Program
- Facilitate the development of DENR groundwater databases for all groundwater data collected from all DENR programs
- Establish a statewide groundwater sciences program to support evaluation and protection of groundwater resources
Develop More Effective Regulatory Practices
- Assess the effectiveness of regulations and make recommendations for regulatory changes when necessary
- Build understanding of the groundwater resource
- Interact with and provide technical assistance to other agencies or programs to promote awareness of this resource.
- Help develop appropriate groundwater classifications and promote awareness of groundwater quality.
- Publish the results of scientific studies/resource assessment