Eligibility and Fees
Eligibility for Stewardship Program Participation
Private property interests and state agencies that obtain easements on conservation lands may participate in the Stewardship Program. Eligible programs and agengies include:
- Natural Heritage Program
- Parks and Recreation
- Forest Resources
- Coastal Management
- Soil and Water Conservation
- Conservation Tax Credit Program
- Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Department of Transportation
- Other programs administered through the State Property Office
Fees for Long-Term Monitoring and Management
Based on administrative code 15A NCAC 02R .0402, fees have been established for monitoring and management of properties managed by the Stewardship Program.
- A dedicated endowment is required.
- For 2012, a fee of $1,076 per acre is charged at the time the land or easement is transferred to the department's Conservation Grant Fund Endowment to cover costs of long-term management of the property. Minimum endowment is $15,000.
- This charge applies only to properties and easements donated to the department for the sole purpose of property or easement maintenance.
- This does not apply to properties or easements donated to the department in association with restoration projects conducted by the department.