City of Asheville
Asheville East Riverside Sustainable Multi-Modal Neighborhood: $850,000. The project will revise codes and regulations to create sustainable development in the River District, where affordable housing, jobs and a multimodal transportation network will be created. A land-bank will support affordable housing. The funds will enable a partnership among the city, community residents, businesses, property owners and public, nonprofit and private organizations to develop and bring plans for sustainable development to readiness. Specific planning activities will include:
- Final route planning,environmental assessment and construction drawings for the Town Branch and Clingman Forest Greenways;
- 2.7 mile section of the Wilma Dykeman Riverway brought to 75 percent construction drawing completion;
- Transportation network plan developed, including multimodal transportation, road sections, complete streets and projected transit demand;
- Energy Plan, including an assessment of current energy use and an analysis of financing options for a community-based energy efficiency program; and
- Transformational redevelopment of city properties will be explored through the development assessment of at least two city-owned properties in the target area. Significant public participation will occur in all elements of the planning.