Geospatial Data Download
Download GIS shapefiles of Natural Heritage Program data including element occurrences, dedicated nature preserves, managed areas, and natural areas. Please look for our quarterly updates in January, April, July, and October.
Click the links below to download these shapefiles:
- The zipfile contains the Natural Heritage Element Occurrences shapefile. These shapes represent our best estimate as to the locations of the rare plants and animals, natural communities, and animal assemblages we track.
- Read the Natural Heritage Element Occurrences document for details of the shapefile.
- Some of the species we track are subject to poaching or harassment. To protect these species from harm, species names and other identifying information has been removed. Instead, occurrence records are identified with an EO_ID number. For more information on a record, you must contact the Conservation Information Manager. Include a list of the EO_ID numbers with the request, ideally as a DBF or Excel file. (Many GIS applications allow users to export selected records from the shapefile attribute table directly as a DBF file; such a file is preferred when requesting information.)
- Records for the Blue Ridge Parkway are not included in the shapefile. You must contact the Blue Ridge Parkway if you need information for this area.
- The zipfile contains a shapefile of Natural Areas.
- Read the Natural Areas document for details.
- Many of these natural areas are on private land and are not open to the public. Before visiting any of these sites, please contact the landowner for permission.
- The Natural Heritage Program also maintains the Conservation Planning Tool (CPT) data layers.
- Click here to download the CPT assessments.
Natural Heritage GIS data and much more are available at NC OneMap.
Here's how download data:
- Go to http://www.nconemap.gov/
- Click on the "Geospatial Portal" link
- Search for the name of the shapefile or a keyword associated with it, e.g., enter "Natural Heritage Element Occurrences".
- Click on the appropriate result.
- Click the "Download" link in the result box.