Pre-Meeting Reading Material:
ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS COMMITTEE
NORTH CAROLINA MINING AND ENERGY COMMISSION
January 24, 2013
1:00 – 3:00 pm
Archdale Building – Ground Floor Hearing Room
1. Call to Order and Notice of NCGS 138A-15 Chairman George Howard
In accordance with the State Government Ethics Act, it is the duty of every member of the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission to avoid conflicts of interest and potential conflicts. If any member knows of a conflict of interest or potential conflict with respect to matters coming before the Committee today, please identify the conflict or potential conflict at this time.
2. Background and Introductions- Chairman George Howard
3. Approval of Minutes from last meeting- Chairman George Howard
4. Background (regional) sampling and testing-
U.S. Geological Survey – Melinda Chapman (15 minutes)
Duke University – Rob Jackson (15 minutes)
5. Baseline (permit or initial action) sampling and testing-
Division of Water Quality – Evan Kane, Groundwater Planning Supervisor (15 minutes)
Division of Waste Management – Ellen Lorscheider, Supervisor, Solid Waste Section (15 minutes)
Division of Air Quality – Mike Abraczinskas, Deputy Director, DAQ (15 minutes)
6. Chemical Disclosure Draft Rules- Katherine Marciniak; Chairman George Howard
7. Discussion of Policy Options- Chairman George Howard
Reminder to All MEC Members: Members having a question about a conflict of interest or potential conflict should consult with the Chair or with legal counsel.
Reminder to MEC Members Appointed by the Governor: Executive Order 34 mandates that in transacting Commission business each person appointed by the Governor shall act always in the best interest of the public without regard for his or her financial interests. To this end, each appointee must recuse himself or herself from voting on any matter on which the appointee has a financial interest.