Recreational Commercial Gear License
The Recreational Commercial Gear License is an annual license that allows recreational fishermen to use limited amounts of commercial gear to harvest seafood for their personal consumption. Seafood harvested under this license cannot be sold. Fishermen using this license must follow the regulations for recreational size and possession limits. Unlicensed individuals can assist in fishing, but at least one person must have this license if any of the gears listed below are used. If on a vessel, the number of recreational possession limits of fish allowed is equal to the number of license holders aboard that vessel. This license cannot be transferred or assigned.
Read and print a PDF version of the RCGL Guidelines here.
|$70.00 || North Carolina Residents |
|$500.00 ||Nonresidents |
|Expiration Date ||One Year from the Date of Purchase |
1) - Seafood harvested cannot be sold.
2) - Recreational size and possession limits apply - for the latest information call the DMF (800-682-2632) or visit the website at: www.ncdmf.net.
3) - One possession limit per RCGL, whether or not you are on a vessel, except for crabs, which are 50 crabs per individual per day, not to exceed 100 crabs per vessel per day.
4) - A person under 16 years of age may use RCGL gear and take one possession limit if they are with a parent, grandparent or guardian who holds a RCGL, or if the individual under 16 years of age has a parent, grandparent or guardian’s RCGL in their possession.
5) - Unlicensed individuals can assist in fishing, but at least one person must have a RCGL.
6) - One gear limit per vessel, except for gill nets (see below). Recreational Commercial Gear License is available from all Division of Marine Fisheries’ offices. Wildlife Resources Commission license agents throughout the state also sell this license for an additional charge of $1. Go here to locate a WRC License Agent near you.
Exemptions A person under 16 years of age may use authorized commercial gear and take a recreational possession limit of fish, shellfish, shrimp or crabs if they are with a parent, grandparent or guardian who holds a Recreational Commercial Gear License or if the individual under 16 years of age has in their possession the parent, grandparent or guardian’s valid Recreational Commercial Gear License.
For more information on this License call toll-free 800-682-2632 or 252-726-7021
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • 252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632 |