RE: CRAB TRAWLING AND TAKING SHRIMP WITH NETS (OPENING SPECIAL SECONDARY NURSERY AREA INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY FROM MARKER 49 TO THE HIGHWAY 210 HIGH RISE BRIDGE)
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 3:00 P.M., Thursday, December 3, 2015, all Coastal Fishing Waters south of Marker 45 near Bogue Inlet to the North Carolina-South Carolina border will close to crab trawling and the taking of shrimp with nets except as specified below.
I. MEANS AND METHODS
A. It is unlawful to take crabs with trawls except in areas and during times as specified in Section II.
B. It is unlawful to take shrimp with nets except:
1. Shrimp and crab trawls, seines and cast nets in areas and during times as specified in Section II;
2. Cast nets in accordance with N.C Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03L .0105;
3. Pound nets permitted in accordance with N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 03J .0502;
4. Pound nets authorized for use in accordance with N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 03O .0302;
5. Channel nets in accordance with N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03J .0106; and
See Section III. General Information G., H., and J. below for further restrictions on taking shrimp with nets.
II. AREAS — All primary, permanent secondary and special secondary nursery areas and trawl nets prohibited areas in the waterbodies listed below are closed to the taking of shrimp with seines and cast nets except as noted in Section III. G. below and, for special secondary nursery areas, until the areas are opened to trawling in accordance with N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03N .0105. Special Secondary Nursery Areas opened per this proclamation will close in accordance with Rule 15A NCAC 03N .0105 at midnight on May 14, 2016.
A. Carteret/Onslow County
1. Bogue Inlet Channel — as shown on the attached map (Map 1)
2. Intracoastal Waterway (IWW) from Bogue Inlet to Marker 45 at Swansboro — main channel only (Map 1)
3. Intracoastal Waterway from Marker 45 at Swansboro to Marker 63 south of Browns Inlet – as shown on the attached maps (Map 1 and 2)
4. West Channel - (Island Channel) - main channel only from Buoy 47A to IWW Marker 45B (Map 1)
5. White Oak River – south of a line beginning at a point 34° 43.3425’N – 77° 07.2209’W on the west side of the river; running northerly to a point 34° 43.6445’N – 77° 07.3177’W above Cahoon Slough; running easterly to a point 34° 43.5588’N – 77°06.6206’W at Hancock Point. (Map 1)
6. Queens Creek - from the IWW to NC1509 Bridge. (Map 1 and 2)
7. Bear Creek - from the IWW to Willis Landing. (Map 2)
8. West Channel - main channel only from Marker 48 to Bogue Inlet. (Map 1)
9. Banks Channel - main channel only from Bogue Inlet to Bear Inlet. (Map 1 and 2)
10. Saunders Creek (Sanders Creek) - main channel only from Marker 55 to Bear Inlet. (Map 2)
11. Bear Creek - from the IWW to Bear Inlet. (Map 2)
12. Muddy Creek - main channel only, from Bear Creek to Saunders Creek. (Map 2)
13. Shacklefoot Channel - from Marker 59 to Bear Inlet including the area known locally as the "Horseshoe." (Map 2)
14. Uniflite Boat Basin - dredged portion only, from IWW near Marker 55 to the upstream end of the dredged portion. (Map 2)
15. Browns Inlet area - main channels only, from Markers 61 and 63 to the Inlet. (Map 2)
16. Intracoastal Waterway from Marker 63 south of Browns Inlet to the Highway 210 High Rise Bridge – main channel only (Map 2 and 3).
17.A. - New River - from the N.C. Highway 172 Bridge upstream to a line running from Grey Point 34° 37.5833' N - 77° 22.3833' W, to a point on the east shore at 34° 37 .1333'N - 77° 21.6333' W. That area west of a line beginning at a point near Stones Landing 34° 36.2043’ N - 77° 26.3166' W, then following the danger area line for the Stone’s Bay Rifle Range to a point on the east shore, 34° 37.0579' N - 77° 26.1124' W. All tributaries downstream of Grey Point will remain closed. (Map 3)
17.B. - New River - The area downstream from the Highway 172 Bridge bounded on the north by a line beginning at a point 34° 34.9167' N – 77° 23.9500' W near Pollocks Point; running southeasterly to a point 34° 34.6333' N – 77° 22.9167' W on Jarretts Point; running southeasterly to a point 34° 34.2333' N – 77° 21.6500' W on Wilkins Bluff; running southwesterly to a point 34° 33.9500' N – 77° 21.8833' W on the north side of the marked navigation channel across from Marker 17; running along the north side of the channel to the IWW; and bounded on the south by a line beginning at a point 34° 34.6333' N – 77° 23.9500' W on the Highway 172 Bridge; running easterly to a point 34° 34.6570' N – 77° 23.7820' W on Ferry Point; running southeasterly to a point 34° 34.1430' N – 77° 23.1120'W on Poverty Point; following the south shore of the river to a point 34° 33.1333' N – 77° 21.7833' W on Hatch Point; and running southeasterly to IWW Marker 2. (Map 3)
18. New River Inlet - from Marker 72A to New River Inlet except all tributaries will remain closed. (Map 3)
19. Intracoastal Waterway - the IWW channel only from the Highway 210 High Rise Bridge to Marker 49; the IWW channel and 100 feet on either side from Marker 49 south to the Highway 210-50 Bridge at Surf City (waterbodies are in both Pender and Onslow Counties; (Map 4).