RE: PEELER CRAB TRAWLING
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 8:00A.M., Thursday, February 16, 2012, the following areas WILL OPEN to peeler crab trawling:
I. AREA DESCRIPTIONS
A. CARTERET COUNTY
1. Waters of Core Sound excluding designated nursery and shellfish management areas
2. Cedar Island Bay - to the Primary Nursery Area line
3. Nelson Bay excluding designated nursery and shellfish management areas
4. Brett Bay
5. Jarretts Bay, Middens Creek and Bell Island Area to the Primary Nursery Area lines
6. North River - to the Highway 70 Bridge
7. Ward Creek - downstream of the Shellfish Management Area line
8. Back Sound
1. Outer Shallowbag Bay to the permanent Secondary Nursery Area line
2. Waters of Kitty Hawk Bay, Colington Creek and Buzzard Bay
A. This proclamation is issued under the authority of N.C.G.S.113-170.4; 113-170.5; 113-182; 113-221.1; 143B-289.52 and N.C. Marine Fisheries Rules 15A NCAC 03H .0103, 03L .0202, 03L .0206 and 03J .0104.
B. It is unlawful to violate the provisions of any proclamation issued by the Fisheries Director under his delegated authority pursuant to N.C. Marine Fisheries Rule 15A NCAC 03H .0103.
C. Shrimp taken in closed shrimp waters, incidental to peeler crab harvest activities, must be returned to the waters where taken.
D. In accordance with Marine Fisheries Rule 15A NCAC 03L .0202, it is unlawful to use trawls with mesh length less than two inches or with a combined total headrope length exceeding 25 feet for taking soft or peeler crabs in the above areas.
E. All Primary and Permanent Secondary Nursery Areas and Shellfish Management Areas remain closed to all trawling activity. In accordance with N.C. Fisheries Rule 15A NCAC 03N .0105 (b), Special Secondary Nursery Areas are closed from May 15 through August 15.
F. All areas currently open to shrimp and crab trawling are open to peeler crab trawling.
G. This proclamation supersedes all proclamations affecting peeler crab trawling issued prior to February 16, 2012, and brings together in one document all areas that are open to peeler crab trawling.
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • (252) 726-7021 or 1-800-682-2632 |