RE: GILL NETS — ALBEMARLE SOUND AREA
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M. on Monday, November 18, 2013, the following provisions shall apply to the use of gill nets in the following areas:
I. AREA DESCRIPTION
A. In Croatan and Roanoke, Albemarle and Currituck sounds, north and west of the Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge and the Washington Baum Bridge described below:
1. Croatan Sound – beginning at a point 35° 53.1720’N – 75° 45.6160’W on the mainland shore; running easterly along the south side of the Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge to a point at 35° 53.1630’N – 75° 40.1640’W on Roanoke Island. B. The area between the lines referenced in I.A.1. and 2. and the southern boundary of the Albemarle Sound Management Area described as a line beginning at a point 35° 48.5015’N – 75°44.1228’W on Roanoke Marshes Point, running southeasterly to a point 35° 44.1710’N – 75° 31.0520’W on the north point of Eagle Nest Bay.
2. Roanoke Sound – beginning at a point 35° 53.6240’N – 75° 38.4170’W on shore at Roanoke Island; running easterly along the south side of the Washington Baum Bridge to a point at 35° 54.3820’N – 75° 35.9240’W on the Outer Banks shore.
II. NET RESTRICTIONS
Only gill nets meeting the specified mesh lengths may be used in the described areas. A commercial fishing operation, regardless of the number of vessels or persons involved, shall adhere to the gill net restrictions specified for the following areas:
A. Albemarle, Currituck, Roanoke and Croatan sounds (areas described in I.A.1. and 2.)
1. Gill nets with a mesh length less than 3 inches shall not be used.
2. Gill nets with a mesh length of 3 and 3 1/4 inches shall not exceed 800 yards in any combination.
3. Gill nets with a mesh length greater than 3 1/4 inches and less than 5 1/2 inches shall not be used.
4. Gill nets with a mesh length of 5 ½ inches and larger are required to be equipped with tie downs spaced no farther apart than 10 yards, restricting the vertical distance between the top and bottom lines to 48 inches or less unless they are equipped with floats that do not exceed 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches in length placed a minimum of 10 yards apart, not to exceed 11 floats per 100 yards of net. Gill nets must be set so as to fish the bottom not to exceed a vertical height of 48 inches.
5. Gill nets with a mesh length of 5 1/2 inches and larger can only be used as described in !!.A.4. and may not exceed 2,000 yards combined.
6. Gill nets with a mesh length greater than 6 ½ inches shall not be used.
7. It is unlawful to fail to be present at the nets at least once during a 24 hour period no later than noon each day.