RE: LARGE MESH GILL NETS: INTERNAL COASTAL WATERS
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 7:15 P.M., Saturday, July 26, 2014, the following provisions shall apply to the use of large mesh gill nets south of the Albemarle Sound Management Area:
I. SUSPENSION OF PORTION OF MARINE FISHERIES RULE 15A NCAC 03J .0103
The following portion of N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03J .0103 is suspended:
Section (i) (1), which reads: The provisions below in this proclamation shall be complied with at all times.
(i) For gill nets with a mesh length five inches or greater, it is unlawful:
(1) To use more than 3,000 yards of gill net per vessel in internal waters regardless of the
number of individuals involved.
II. LARGE MESH GILL NETS AND SEASON CLOSURE RESTRICTIONS:
It is unlawful to use large mesh gill nets (defined as 4 inches to 6 ½ inches stretched mesh, inclusive) in Internal Coastal Waters except:
A. In areas identified in Section III.
B. No more than 2,000 yards of run-around, strike or drop nets that are used to surround a school of fish and then immediately retrieved.
III. AREA EXEMPTIONS AND ATTENDANCE/YARDAGE RESTRICTIONS IN EXEMPT AREAS
A. Pamlico, Bay and Neuse rivers west of the lines in the vicinity of the mouths of those waterbodies described below:
1. Pamlico River – a line beginning at a point 35º 24.5920’N - 76º 32.3810’W near Currituck Point; running southwesterly to a point 35º 19.6960’N - 76º 36.5360’W near Fulford Point. B. The following area must adhere to restrictions outlined in Section IV and V:
2. Bay River – a line beginning at a point 35º 11.0760’N - 76º 31.6200’W near Bay Point; running southerly to a point 35º 08.9290’N - 76º 32.2680’W near Maw Point.
3. Neuse River – a line beginning at a point 35º 08.9290’N - 76º 32.2680’W near Maw Point; running southerly to a point 34° 59.2940’N – 76° 34.8230’W on the east shore of the mouth of South River.
New River - upstream of a line beginning at a point 34° 37.6373' N – 77° 22.3605' W on Grey Point, running southeasterly to a point 34° 37.1622' N – 77° 21.5527' W on the east shore.
C. Yardage and attendance restrictions for areas described in Section III. A.:
1. It is unlawful to use or possess more than 2,000 yards of large mesh gill net per operation.
2. It is unlawful to fail to actively fish gill net sets at least once during a 24 hour period no later than noon each day.