RE: GILL NETS – CENTRAL AND WESTERN ALBEMARLE SOUND AREA
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 9:00 A.M.,Thursday, July 14, 2011, the following provisions shall apply to the use of gill nets in the following areas:
I. AREA DESCRIPTION
A. Albemarle Sound and its tributaries, west of a line beginning at a point 35° 57.5590’N - 75° 56.8200’W at the northwestern point of Durant Island; running northeasterly to a point 36° 04.8280’N - 75° 47.4050’W near Point Harbor.
B. Currituck Sound north of the Highway 158 Wright Memorial Bridge beginning at a point on the western shore at 36º 04.8280’N - 75º 47.4050’W; running easterly along the south side of the bridge to a point on the east shore at 36º 05.5770’N - 75º 44.5850’W.
II. NET RESTRICTIONS
Only gill nets meeting the specified mesh lengths may be used in the described areas. A fishing operation, regardless of the number of vessels or persons involved, shall adhere to the gill net restrictions specified for the following areas:
A. Albemarle Sound and Currituck Sound
1. Gill nets with a mesh length of 3 inches through 4 inches shall not exceed 800 yards, and must be attended at all times.
2. Gill nets with a mesh length of 51/2 inches and larger are required to be equipped with tie downs spaced no farther apart than 10 yards, restricting the vertical distance between the top and bottom lines to 48 inches or less unless they are equipped with floats that do not exceed 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches in length placed a minimum of 10 yards apart, not to exceed 11 floats per 100 yards of net. Gill nets must be set so as to fish the bottom not to exceed a vertical height of 48 inches.
3. Gill nets with a mesh length of 51/2 inches and larger can only be used as described in II. A. (2) and may not exceed 3,000 yards combined.
4. Gill nets with a mesh length less than 3 inches shall not be used.
5. Gill nets with a mesh length greater than 4 inches and less than 5 1/2 shall not be used.
6. No gill nets may be used in the area southwest of a line from Black Walnut Point 35° 59' .3833’ N - 76° 41' .0060’ W, running 138°(M) to a point 35° 56' .3333’ N - 76° 36' .0333’ W, at the mouth of Mackey's Creek including Roanoke, Cashie, Middle and Eastmost Rivers.