RE: GILL NETS – ALBEMARLE SOUND AREA
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M., Sunday, June 1, 2014, the following provisions shall apply to the use of gill nets in the following areas:
I. AREA DESCRIPTION
A. The areas of Albemarle and Currituck Sounds and tributaries described as follows:
1. Albemarle Sound, north and west of a line beginning at a point 35º 57.5590’N - 75º56.8200’ W; running northeasterly to a point 36º 04.8280’N - 75º 47.4050’W. B. The area between the lines referenced in I.A.1. and 2. and the southern boundary of the Albemarle Sound Management Area described as a line beginning at a point 35° 48.5015’N – 75°44.1228’W on Roanoke Marshes Point, running southeasterly to a point 35° 44.1710’N – 75° 31.0520’W on the north point of Eagle Nest Bay.
2. Currituck Sound, north of the Highway 158 Wright Memorial Bridge beginning at a point on the western shore at 36º 04.8280’N - 75º 47.4050’W; running easterly along the south side of the bridge to a point on the east shore at 36º 05.5770’N - 75º 44.5850’W.
II. GILL NET ATTENDANCE, MESH AND CONFIGURATION RESTRICTIONS
Only gill nets meeting the specified mesh lengths and net configurations may be used in the described areas. A fishing operation, regardless of the number of vessels or persons involved, shall adhere to the gill net restrictions specified for the following areas:
A. Areas of Albemarle and Currituck Sounds described in I.A.1. and 2. above
1. It is unlawful to use gill nets with a mesh length less than 3 inches.
2. It is unlawful to use gill nets with a mesh length greater than 4inches and less than 5 ½ inches.
3. Gill nets with a mesh length 3 inches through 4 inches must be attended at all times.
4. It is unlawful to use gill nets with a mesh length greater than 6 ½ inches.
5. It is unlawful to use gill nets with a mesh length of 5 ½ inches through 6 ½ inchesunless the nets are:
a. equipped with tie downs spaced no farther apart than 10 yards, restricting the vertical distance 6. It is unlawful to fail to actively fish gill net sets with a mesh length of 5 ½ inches through 6 ½ inches at least once during a 24 hour period no later than noon each day.
between the top and bottom lines to 48 inchesor less; or
b. equipped with floats that do not exceed 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches in length placed a
minimum of 10 yards apart, not to exceed 11 floats per 100 yards of net; and
c. set so as to fish the bottom not to exceed a vertical height of 48 inches.
7. It is unlawful to use gill nets in the area southwest of a line from Black Walnut Point 35° 59.3833’N - 76° 41.0060’W; running southeasterly to a point 35° 56.3333’N - 76° 36.0333’W at the mouth of Mackey’s Creek, including Roanoke, Cashie, Middle and Eastmost Rivers.