RE: LARGE MESH GILL NETS: INTERNAL COASTAL WATERS
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01A.M., Thursday, February 27, 2014, the following provisions shall apply to the use of large mesh gill nets:
I. SUSPENSION OF PORTION OF MARINE FISHERIES RULE 15A NCAC 03J .0103
The following portion of Marine Fisheries Rules for Coastal Waters 15A NCAC 03J .0103 is suspended:
Section (i) (1), which reads:
(i) For gill nets with a mesh length five inches or greater, it is unlawful:
(1) To use more than 3,000 yards of gill net per vessel in internal waters regardless of the number of individuals involved.
The provisions below in this proclamation shall be complied with at all times.
II. AREA, EXEMPTIONS AND ATTENDANCE/YARDAGE RESTRICTIONS IN EXEMPT AREAS
A. This proclamation applies to all internal coastal waters except the Albemarle Sound Management Area as described in Marine Fisheries Rule 15A NCAC 03R. .0201 (a) and the Pamlico, Bay and Neuse rivers west of a line in the vicinity of the mouths of those water bodies described below:
1. Pamlico River – a line beginning at a point at 35º 24.5920’N - 76º 32.3810’WnearCurrituck Point; running southwesterly to a point at 35º 19.6960’N - 76º 36.5360’W near Fulford Point. B. The following areas are exempt from the restrictions listed in Section III. A. and C., and Section IV. of this proclamation:
2. Bay River – a line beginning at a point 35º 11.0760’N - 76º 31.6200’W near Bay Point; running southerly to a point at 35º 08.9290’N - 76º 32.2680’W near Maw Point.
3. Neuse River – a line beginning at a point 35º 08.9290’N - 76º 32.2680’W near Maw Point; running southerly to a point at 34° 59.29400’N – 76° 34.8230’W on the east shore of the mouth of South River.
1. Pamlico Sound – south of a line beginning at a point 35° 48.5015’N – 75° 44.1228’W on Roanoke Marshes Point, running southeasterly to a point 35° 44.1710’N – 75° 31.0520’W on the north point of Eagle Nest Bay and north of a line at the Wainwrights beginning at a point 34° 59.7942’N – 76° 14.6514’W on Camp Point; running easterly to a point at 34° 58.7853’N – 76° 09.8922’W on Core Banks. C. Upon the effective date and time of this proclamation for areas described in Section II. A. and B.:
2. In New River north of the Highway 172 Bridge.
3. In Cape Fear River and its tributaries, north of a line running from a point on the west shore at 34° 04.6040’N – 77° 56.4780’W; running easterly to a point on the east shore at 34° 04.7920’N – 77° 55.4740’W.
1. It is unlawful to use or possess more than 2,000 yards of large mesh gill net per operation. D. A run-around, strike or drop net that is used to surround a school of fish and then is immediately retrieved is exempted from the restrictions in SectionIII.A. and C., and Section IV. ofthis proclamation.
2. It is unlawful to fail to be present at the nets at least once during a 24 hour period no later than noon each day.
E. Drift gill nets that are used to capture fish while being moved along by water currents are exempt from the provisions in Section III. A. and C., and Section IV. of this proclamation provided the net is being actively fished and attended from deployment through retrieval.
III. GILL NET CONSTRUCTION AND USE REQUIREMENTS
It is unlawful to use large mesh gill nets (defined as 4 inches to 6½ inches stretched mesh, inclusive) unless they comply with the following provisions:
A. It is unlawful to use large mesh gill nets of more than 15 meshes in height and without a lead core or leaded bottomline. It is unlawful to use cork, floats, or other buoys except those required for identification except that floats are allowed south of the Highway 58 (B. Cameron Langston) Bridge, beginning at a point on the north shore at 34° 40.7848’N - 77° 04.0273’W; running southerly to a point on the south shore at 34° 39.8620’N – 77° 03.7438’W.
B. It is unlawful to use or possess more than 2,000 yards of large mesh gill net per operationnorth of a line at latitude 34° 48.2660’ N which runs approximately from the Club House on Core Banks westerly to a point on the shore at Davis near Marker “1”, and it is unlawful to use or possess more than 1,000 yards of large mesh gill net per operation south of that line.
C. It is unlawful to set more than 100 yards of large mesh gill net without leaving a space of at least 25 yards between separate lengths of net.