Petitioning for Rulemaking
Any person wishing to request the adoption, amendment or repeal of a rule of the Marine Fisheries Commission shall make the request in writing to:
Chairman of the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission
P.O. Box 769
3441 Arendell Street
Morehead City, NC 28557
Items that must be included in the petition:
1. Text of the proposed rule(s);
2. Statutory authority for the agency to promulgate the rule(s);
3. Reasons a proposed rule(s) needs to be adopted or an existing rule(s) needs to be changed;
4. Effect on existing rules;
5. Copies of any documents and data supporting the proposed rule(s) or rule(s) change;
6. Statement of the effect of the proposed rule(s) on existing practices in the area involved, including an estimate of cost factors for persons affected by the proposed rule(s);
7. Description of those most likely to be affected by the proposed rule(s); and
8. Your name and address.
When petitions and supporting documents and data exceed 10 pages in length, 15 copies of the entire petition and any attachments shall be submitted.
If a petition does not contain the required information it will be returned to the petitioner.
If the petition is deemed complete by the commission chairman it will be presented to the commission for its consideration and determination at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the commission.
Within 120 days following the submission of the petition requesting rulemaking the commission shall:
1. Initiate rulemaking proceedings and notify the petitioner in writing; or
2. Deny the petition, stating the reason or reasons for the denial and send the written denial to the petitioner.
If there are questions about this process, please contact the Marine Fisheries Commission Office at
252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632.
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • (252) 726-7021 or 1-800-682-2632 |