Date: Nov. 4, 2015
Contact: Chris Batsavage
Marine Fisheries Commission to meet Nov. 18-20 in Nags Head
MOREHEAD CITY — The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will meet Nov. 18-20 at Jennette’s Pier, 7223 South Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head.
Public comment periods will begin at 6 p.m. Nov. 18 and 9 a.m. Nov. 19. The chairman will allow each speaker to comment for three minutes. Due to time constraints, those making comments will be asked to speak only once, either at the Nov. 18 or Nov. 19 session, but not during both public comment periods.
The business meeting begins at 9 a.m. Nov. 19 and 8:30 a.m. Nov. 20.
The deadline for submitting written correspondence to the commission, including email, through the Marine Fisheries Commission Office is 5 p.m. Nov. 12. People who wish to give handouts to the commission during the public comment periods should bring at least 12 copies of the handout.
The public may listen to the meeting on the Internet. Up to 200 participants may listen to audio and view presentations in real-time on a first-come, first-served basis. Directions for participating in the webcast, including information on system requirements and testing, can be found at http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/listen-online .
The commission is scheduled to select and approve management measures for Supplement A to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan Amendment 1. This action was postponed from its August business meeting. The commission previously took six potential management proposals out for public review that range in impacts to different fisheries and fishing gears, such as gill nets, pound nets and gigs. The supplement and the proposals can be found at: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/southern-flounder-current-topic.
The commission is also scheduled to:
- Discuss criteria for the Standard Commercial Fishing License. Many criteria are set in law and need legislative approval for change.
- Give final approval to an amendment to the Striped Mullet Fishery Management Plan and associated rules.
- Receive a presentation on amendments to the Oyster and Hard Clam fishery management plans and vote to send the plans out for public review.
- Give final approval to information updates for the Interjurisdictional and Kingfish fishery management plans.
- Receive a presentation on an update to the Coastal Habitat Protection Plan and vote to send the plan out for public review.
A meeting agenda and a full briefing book can be found at: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/mfc-meetings.
For more information, contact Marine Fisheries Commission Liaison Nancy Fish at 252-808-8021 or Nancy.Fish@ncdenr.gov.
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • 252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632