Date: Feb. 8, 2016
Contact: Patricia Smith
State fisheries commission meeting to include discussions of
management plans, fishery council candidates
MOREHEAD CITY — The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will meet Feb. 17-19 at the Blockade Runner Beach Resort, 275 Waynick Blvd., Wrightsville Beach.
Public comment periods will begin at 6 p.m. Feb. 17 and 9 a.m. Feb. 18. The chairman will allow each speaker to comment for up to three minutes. Due to time constraints, those making comments will be asked to speak only once, either at the Feb. 17 or Feb. 18 session, but not during both public comment periods.
The business meeting begins at 9 a.m. Feb. 18 and 8:30 a.m. Feb. 19.
The deadline for submitting written correspondence to the commission, including email, through the Marine Fisheries Commission Office is 5 p.m. Feb. 15. People who wish to give handouts to the commission during the public comment periods should bring at least 12 copies of the handout.
The public may listen to the meeting on the Internet. Up to 200 participants may listen to audio and view presentations in real-time on a first-come, first-served basis. Directions for participating in the webcast, including information on system requirements and testing, can be found at: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/listen-online.
The commission is scheduled to:
- Receive a presentation on and select preferred management options for amendments to the Oyster and Clam fishery management plans;
- Select replacement candidates for the governor’s consideration for North Carolina’s obligatory seat on the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council;
- Consider a request for a declaratory ruling from American Eel Farm;
- Receive a presentation on the 2015 Coastal Habitat Protection Plan Update and give final approval of the plan;
- Discuss the Standard Commercial Fishing License criteria;
- Consider delegating authority to the commission’s Commercial Fishing Resource Fund Committee to develop and implement a memorandum of understanding with and the North Carolina Commercial Fishing Resource Fund Funding Committee. The memorandum of understanding will set procedures for agreeing to and authorizing disbursements from the fund;
- Receive a brief update on the division’s progress toward setting total allowable landings for pound nets by waterbodies for Supplement A to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan Amendment 1.
A full meeting agenda and briefing book can be found at: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/mfc-meetings.
For more information, contact Marine Fisheries Commission Liaison Nancy Fish at 252-808-8021 or Nancy.Fish@ncdenr.gov.
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • 252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632