D. Eight (8) inch PVC "Sea Eagle" Fish Excluder (Figure 5 and Table 2):
1. Description: The “Sea Eagle” Fish Excluder is a cone-shaped device similar to the Florida Fish Excluder and is constructed out of PVC pipe and has a trap door that is designed to close on haul back to prevent escapement of shrimp. The device is inserted into the cod end to form an escapement opening. Minimum construction and installation requirements stated below.
2. Placement of the apex (narrow end) of the "Sea Eagle" shall face the cod end of the trawl (aft).
3. The opening of the "Sea Eagle" shall be eight (8) inches in diameter and installed in the cod end of the trawl no further forward than 38% of the functional cod end length from the cod end tie-off rings (Table 2).
4. The center of the "Sea Eagle" escapement opening shall be installed on either side of the cod end between 0 and 15 meshes from the top centerline of the cod end.
5. The escapement opening of the "Sea Eagle" shall be unobstructed (the escapement flap shall be free to move and a fish retention grate shall not be present).
E. General Eight (8) Inch and Ten (10) Inch Large Mesh and Extended Mesh Funnel BRD (Figures 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10):
1. Description: Devices consist of a funnel of small mesh netting within a cylinder of large mesh netting, held open by one semi-rigid hoop, and are installed in the trawl net behind a National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) certified Turtle Excluder Device (TED). One side of the funnel is extended vertically to provide passage for shrimp to the cod end and to create an area of reduced water flow to allow for fish escapement through the larger mesh outer netting. Minimum construction and installation requirements stated below.
2. The small mesh funnel and large mesh section shall be positioned within extension sections constructed of 1 5/8 inch stretched mesh # 30 nylon twine. The extension section shall be 120 meshes in circumference. The extension section in front of the large mesh section shall be 6 1/2 meshes long, and the extension section behind the large mesh section shall be 23 meshes long.
3. The small mesh funnel shall be constructed from four (4) pieces of 1 1/2 inch stretched mesh, size # 24 twine or larger, depth stretched and heat set polyethylene webbing.
4. The small mesh funnel shall have a circumference of 120 meshes at the leading edge and 78 meshes at the trailing edge. The short side of the funnel shall be 23 meshes long, while the long side of the funnel shall be 38 1/2 meshes long. The leading edge of the funnel shall be attached three (3) meshes forward of the leading edge of the large mesh section. The eight (8) meshes at the back edge of the top and bottom sections are attached three (3) meshes behind the soft cable hoop, and are centered at the top and bottom of the extension webbing, mesh for mesh. The long side section of the funnel shall be attached to the extension webbing on the top and bottom beginning at the back edge of the top and bottom section. The sewing sequence for this section shall be two (2) meshes down, one (1) mesh over toward the top and bottom centerlines.
5. The large mesh outer section shall be 10 inch stretched mesh netting, 10 mm polyester, or # 120 nylon or heavier, hung on the square, with a circumference of 19 meshes (95 inches) and a length of three (3) meshes (15"), or the large mesh outer section shall be 8 inch stretched mesh netting, 4 mm polyester, or # 120 nylon or heavier, hung on the square, with a circumference of 23 meshes (95 inches) and a length of four (4) meshes (15 inches").
6. The leading edge of the large mesh section shall be attached to the trailing edge of the front extension. The trailing edge of the large mesh outer section is attached to the leading edge of the back extension.
7. A single hoop, constructed from 1/2 inch (0.5 inch") plastic coated cable measuring 94 1/4 inch in length (30 inch diameter), shall be attached five (5) meshes back from the leading edge of the back extension.
8. The large mesh escapement opening must be unobstructed.
9. This BRD is installed between the TED and the cod end. When installed behind a hard TED, the leading edge of the 6 1/2 mesh front extension is attached five (5) meshes behind the posterior edge (trailing edge) of the TED. Any part of the TED extension greater than five (5) meshes long must be removed. When installed behind a soft TED, the device is placed between the TED extension and the cod end.