N.C. Bycatch Reduction Device (BRD) Specifications
(Read and print this proclamation)
For more information contact Marine Fisheries at 800-682-2632 or 252-726-7021
RE: SHRIMP TRAWL BRD REQUIREMENTS
Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M. Monday, June 1, 2015 the following restrictions apply to shrimp trawls (otter and skimmer trawls):
I. GEAR RESTRICTIONS:
It is unlawful for a person to use a shrimp trawl in coastal fishing waters without an authorized North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries (NCDMF) Bycatch Reduction Device(s) (BRD) properly installed and operational in the cod end of EACH net as outlined below. Authorized NCDMF BRDs include
A. Florida Fish Excluder (FFE) (Figure 1 and Table 1):
1. Description: Cone-shaped rigid frame constructed from aluminum, steel, or stainless steel round bar or tubing which is inserted into the cod end to form an escape opening. Minimum construction and installation requirements stated below.
2. The FFE shall be installed on the outside of the trawl. The webbing of the trawl attached to the FFE cannot cover more than 50% of the FFE.
3. The escapement opening of the FFE shall be diamond in shape and shall remain unobstructed at all times. Diamond shaped FFE shall measure at least 5 1/2 inches x 6 1/2 inches or 6 inches x 6 inches, inside diameter (see Figure 1).
4. Placement of the apex (narrow end) of the FFE shall be toward the headrope of the trawl (forward).
5. A FFE shall have at least three (3) legs and no more than four (4) legs and measure at least 12 inches in length (see Figure 1).
6. The opening of the FFE shall be installed on the outside of the cod end of the trawl no further forward than 65% of the functional cod end length measured from the cod end tie-off rings (Table 1).
7. The center of the FFE escapement opening shall be installed no more than 19 meshes from the top centerline of the cod end.
8. A FFE shall be constructed from aluminum, steel, or stainless steel round bar or tubing.