Date: Oct. 29, 2012
NOAA Fisheries Seeks Public Comment on Amendment 18B for the Snapper Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic
Comment Period Ends December 26, 2012
Amendment 18B to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic region pertains to management measures for the commercial longline sector of the golden tilefish fishery. The amendment proposes:
- An endorsement program for the commercial longline sector of the golden tilefish component of the snapper-grouper fishery. (Certain qualifying criteria will apply.)
- Establishment of longline landings criteria to determine who will receive endorsements.
- An appeals process for the endorsement program.
- Establishment of a procedure to allow transferability of endorsements.
- To allocate the commercial Annual Catch Limit (ACL) to 75% to the longline sector and 24% to the hook and line sector.
- Changes the trip limit to remove the 300 pound gutted weight trip limit when 75% of the ACL is caught.
- Establishment of 500 pound gutted weight trip limit for those who do not qualify for an endorsement.
Request for Comments
Written comments must be received no later than December 26, 2012 to be considered by NOAA Fisheries. Electronic copies of the proposed rule or the regulatory amendment may be obtained from the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal at http://www.regulations.gov, and the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council's Web site at www.safmc.net.
How to Submit Comments
Comments will be accepted via electronic submission or mail.
Electronic Submissions: Visit http://www.regulations.gov and search for the docket number, NOAA-NMFS-2012-0177. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Mail: Karla Gore, NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office, Sustainable Fisheries Division, 263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701-5505.
For more information on Amendment 18B please visit the Southeast Regional Office Web page at http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/index.html, or view the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council's Web page at: www.safmc.net.
To view the complete information from this Fishery Bulletin and for a list of previous Fishery Bulletins, visit the NOAA Fisheries' Southeast Regional Office website at http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov. Relevant copies are also posted on the Council's website at www.safmc.net . Pardon cross-postings.
This announcement is forwarded as a courtesy of the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council.
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • 252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632 |