Habitats Affected: Water column, SAV, wetlands, soft bottom
Common Sources: Bulkheads, jetties, seawalls, groins
- Increased wave energy on shoreline due to hardened structures accelerates erosion of wetlands and leads to loss of intertidal soft bottom habitat.
- Increased turbidity in the water column.
- Deepening of nearshore habitat and elevated turbidity due to hardened structures deters future colonization of wetland or SAV plants.
- Reduced fish and invertebrate use of hardened shore due to decrease in habitat complexity and toxicity of wood preservatives.
- Prevents landward migration of wetlands (along estuarine shorelines) or barrier islands (along oceanfront).
Back to chart
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • (252) 726-7021 or 1-800-682-2632 |