Channelization / Ditching
Habitats Affected: Wetlands, water column, soft bottom
Common Sources: Flood control, agriculture, urban and suburban development, forestry
- Reduction in wetland habitat.
- Loss of wetlands or conversion to uplands reduces system’s ability to filter pollutants and regulate water flows.
- Loss of riparian vegetation increases loading of non-point source pollutants.
- Filling and channelization reduces fish access to wetlands.
- Channelization increases erosion of stream banks and turbidity in the water.
- Waters adjacent to channelized streams and ditched wetlands support lower abundance and diversity of fish.
Back to chart
|N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries • 3441 Arendell Street • Morehead City, NC 28557 • (252) 726-7021 or 1-800-682-2632 |