DEACS Grant Programs for Local Governments
General Grant Rounds
The N.C. Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service (DEACS) administers the Solid Waste Outreach Program including associated funds for making grants to local governments in support of waste reduction efforts. Local governments interested in these grants are encouraged to check this website periodically for updates. Please be aware that funding levels, contract periods and eligibility requirements vary between the different grant programs. Current and recent RFPs or application guidelines are listed below. Please contact the appropriate staff person if you have additional questions.
- Community Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant - This reoccurring annual grant program provides funding to public recycling programs for projects that help communities build lasting capacity to divert materials from the waste stream and / or increase public awareness of recycling. This grant cycle is timed to correspond with local government budget cycles. A Community Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant Request for Proposals (RFP) is released every fall and applications are due in February. Grant winners are typically notified in April and funds become available on July 1st.
Proposals for 2015 Community Waste Reduction and Recycling (CWRAR) Grants are no longer being accepted. It is anticipated that the 2016 CWRAR Grant RFP will be released in the fall of 2015. Please watch this site for updates. To download a copy of the 2015 Community Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant Request for Proposals please select one of the following links (PDF or Word). Contact Rob Taylor at 919-707-8139 if you have any questions. Contact Rob Taylor at 919-707-8139 if you have any questions.
- Convenience Center Commingled Recycling Collection Grant Program Application Guidelines (PDF or Word) - Grant funding is available to assist communities who are interested in purchasing compacting roll-off systems to be used for the collection of commingled recyclables at staffed recycling drop-off sites. Applications for Convenience Center Commingled Recycling Collection Grants will be accepted on an ongoing basis while funding is available, and there is no due date for submitting applications. For more information or assistance please contact Rob Taylor at 919-707-8139 or Joseph Fitzpatrick at 919-707-8121.
- Abandoned Manufactured Homes Grant Program Application Guidelines – (PDF) or (Word) - David Hance 919-707-8122
Grant Final Reports
As a condition set forth of each of the above grant programs, any North Carolina municipality, county, council of government and solid waste authority that receives a reimbursement grant shall submit a final report to the Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service(DEACS) prior to the end of the grant contract. Each grant program requires specific information be included in the associated final report. Please see the following guidance documents for assistance in preparing final reports.
- Community Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant Final Report Format and Guidelines – (PDF)
- Cart Grant Final Report Guidelines – (PDF)
- Mercury Products Final Report Guidelines – (PDF)
- Abandoned Manufactured Homes Grant Final Report Format and Guidelines – (PDF)
DEACS also makes grant funds available for private sector (for profit) and nonprofit recycling organizations through the Solid Waste Management Trust Fund.
The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services provides financial assistance for the collection/recycling of used agricultural pesticide jugs and unused pesticides.