North Carolina Conservation Listserv - Coordinating long-term conservation of North Carolina's land and water resources
NC1-List is managed by the Office of Land and Water Stewardship within the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. OLWS provides science and incentives to support conservation decisions. We work with others to foster partnerships that inform and result in the conservation of significant natural areas and the building of resilient communities in our state.
The North Carolina Conservation email list provides a communication tool for building partnerships through the exchange of conservation information and opportunities in North Carolina. If you need up-to-date information on conservation workshops, meetings, grants, jobs, and success stories, join NC1-List.
NC1-List is a listserv that allows members to post information that is read by hundreds of other conservation professionals. The list is open to anyone with an interest in natural resource conservation activities, and has many members who work for government agencies, land trusts, universities, and volunteer organizations.
Information provided through NC1-List should focus on conservation information and opportunities in North Carolina, such as conservation workshops, meetings, grants, jobs, and success stories.
How to Subscribe to NC1-List
Go to the NC1-List User Interface: http://lists.ncmail.net/mailman/listinfo/nc1-list
Scroll down, then follow the directions under "Subscribing to NC1-List."
The page will direct you to choose a password or will generate one for you. You will only need this password to unsubscribe or do other interface options—it can be requested from the interface page if you misplace it.
NC1-List is closely moderated by the Office of Land and Water Stewardship. Posts from the listserv will always have [NC1-List] in the subject line. All members are required to follow the guidelines below and the system has spam filters.
How to Post to NC1-List
1. Review the NC1-List Usage Guidelines before posting. They are listed below, on the NC1-List Subscription page, and are sent via email upon subscribing.
2. Once you are successfully subscribed to the list, you may send email to all the list subscribers by addressing the email to: NC1-List "at" lists.ncmail.net
3. We recommend creating an address book entry for “NC1-List” for ease of posting.
- Always indicate the subject of your message on the "subject" line. (i.e., job posting, workshop, question about...)
- If you are posting an event or workshop, try to include the location in the subject heading.
- Identify yourself clearly (name, position, contact information), particularly if you are expecting replies to your message
Keep your message brief.
- Keep the topic related to natural resource conservation.
NC1-List Usage Guidelines
Due to the large membership, we must follow these guidelines in order to keep the list open for individual posts and to keep the number of posts manageable.
Please report misuse of the listserv or listserv problems to Allison.Weakley "at" ncdenr.gov.
1. Please keep posts relevant to natural resource conservation workshops, meetings, grants, jobs, and success stories in North Carolina.
2. NC1-List is not a discussion board- avoid having discussions via the listserv and contact individuals directly if you need more information, or have information to provide to the poster.
3. Do not "CC" the listserv address or click "Reply All" when you respond to an individual post's question or request. The list has a large number of members from a diversity of fields, so don't assume that the entire list will be interested in the post response.
4. Please do not post messages that address environmental issue advocacy
(calls for rallies, protests, petitions, fundraisers, etc.).
5. Do not use NC1-List to advertise products, commercial services, or fundraising events.
6. NC1-List has more than 800 members--we encourage posts, but please be discerning and do not "over post."
7. Please do not forward emails or posts from other listservs without editing the content and clearly identifying the purpose of the email.
8. Do not "CC" large numbers of emails along with NC1-List posts--they may be rejected as a spam attempt.
9. Avoid including attachments or emails that have images or other html. This can overload the email memory of members inboxes, and can cause issues with the program that runs the listserv. It's better to include all the information in the body of the email.
How to Unsubscribe or Modify Subscription
Return to the NC1-List User Interface:
Scroll to the bottom of the page, under "NC1-List Subscribers." Enter your e-mail in the blank and click "unsubscribe or edit options." You will be taken to your member options page and asked for your password. If you cannot remember your password, click "Remind" and it will be e-mailed to you in a few seconds. Problems? Contact the List Moderator, Allison.Weakley "at" ncdenr.gov.
To modify an existing membership to the Daily Digest Option, go to the NC1-List interface page: http://lists.ncmail.net/mailman/listinfo/nc1-list
Scroll to the bottom of the page, under "NC1-List Subscriber Options." Enter your e-mail address in the blank and click "unsubscribe or edit options." You will be taken to your personal options page, which will ask you for your password. If you cannot remember your password, click "Remind" and it will be e-mailed to you in a few seconds. Enter your password and click "log in." Scroll down to: "Your NC1-List Subscription Options." The digest option is the second one listed. Click "yes" and then click "submit" at the bottom.