2011 DENR Sustainability Team Meeting # 6
NC Wildlife Building, NCSU Centennial Campus, Bullfrog room
June 8, 2011
DENR Sustainability Team Vision/ Mission Statement
Vision: DENR is the foremost environmental agency in North Carolina and a model of sustainable actions for all government agencies.
Mission: To inspire a culture of sustainability within DENR by promoting environmentally responsible actions.
1:30 to 1:35 Call Meeting to order - (Milli Hayman)
· Welcome remarks, Reading of the Team mission statement
· Attendance Sign in Sheet reminder – 12 present including 3 guests and 5 members on conference = 17 total
1:35 to 1:40 Meeting Minutes from May Team Meeting approved by team vote
1:40 to 1:55 Officer Reports
· Team Budget Report and Budget Planning Subcommittee -
- Current status of Team budget –
Ø Team funds are from indirect costs so DENR can keep left over monies.
Ø Team not allowed to carry over left over monies. Pat Powell (DBPA) will ask if we can be given our savings for next year team budget.
- Status of purchases for 2011/2012
Ø Purchases for education items made from last meeting.
Ø Request was made to purchase more Techno Trash recycling boxes to stock up for next year. Two bundles of boxes were asked for. Team motioned, 2nd and voted to spend funds while we still have them. (Day after meeting spending freeze announced by DENR. Techno Trash purchase may not be possible.)
Ø Paul Clark (DWQ) will distribute Techno Trash boxes to Regional offices.
- Discussion about US Post Office now having "Green” environmentally responsible Stamps available. Article will be e-mailed to Team members.
· Green Square report – Progress and information - (Dena Wilkins)
- Building progress
Ø DENR Office Building = finishing touches and cleanup in progress. Commissioning will be started soon. Revolving front door is in place. The 5th floor furniture is in place. 4th floor furniture is starting. Exterior Walkways being finished. Green roof plantings delayed until the fall to make sure new plants survive this summer’s heat. Once established they will be ready for next summer’s heat.
Ø NRC Building = sheet rock walls going in. Monumental suspended stair case in place. The Planet structure is having the fire proofing put on.
- Move-in schedule changes
Ø Ribbon Cutting for DENR Office Building is September 14th. – (Team’s September meeting date.)
Ø First move-in for DENR Office Building is scheduled for September 16th.
- Green Square Celebration /Open house and Team assistance
Ø Discussion on the Team assisting with the DENR Office Building open House. September 14th. Volunteers will be asked for.
Ø The open house falls on the September Team meeting. Team discussed rescheduling the Team Meeting. The open house is an all day event. Several team members cannot justify the full day for sustainability to their boss. Milli Hayman (Team chairperson) will work on this next week.
1:55 to 2:15 Discussion DENR’s CAT & Utility Savings Initiative
- The DENR Sustainability Team is also the DENR Conservation Awareness Team (CAT). As required under the Utility Savings Initiative all NC State Government Departments had to form a Conservation Awareness/Action Team (CAT) to help educated state employees on utility savings in their agencies, through education, ideas, how-to success stories, and finding resources to so electricity, water, natural gas, and other utility savings. It was in 2004, DENR Administration chose to use the DENR Sustainability Team as the CAT for DENR.
The State Energy Office (SEO) established the Utility Savings Initiative (USI) to comply with state statute - State law G.S. 143-64.12(a). The USI includesannual reporting by state agencies. DENR controlled buildings, that pay utilities, are required to establish a Utility Savings Plan and annually report their utility savings data and the activities/projects they are doing to reach the 2010 and 2015 energy and water saving goals in the state statute A few DENR agencies have already been doing this for some years, ranging from the facilities of the entire NC Aquariums division to the small CGIA office in the education building.
- A handout was provided explaining many details of the CAT team responsibilities and functions.
- The DENR 2009/2010 USI report was briefly shown, to illustrate the utility costs avoided by DENR overall with different division facilities using sustainable practices and savings projects.
- Discussion included how the NC ZOO’s IT person calculated it would save about $10,000 a year if Zoo employees would turn of their computers at night and on weekends. However, Zoo employees have been told to leave them on for so many years it is hard to get them out of the habit.
- The Team had consensus to put the DENR USI reports on the Team portal for reference and examples of what DENR folks can do in their areas.
2:15 to 3:10 Team Subcommittees – Projects list and report
· Green Commute Subcommittee – No Report
· SPAR Update of Team Strategic Plan
Ø Revised links for the follow-up surveys on the Sustainability conference
Ø Working on the Team’s annual report
· GreenerDENR Subcommittee
Ø Bob Langston (NC ZOO) is doing the July GreenerDENR article, on landfill bans.
Ø Discussion on the importance of this article because of the new State landfill bans taking effect this month.
· Green “Employee Living” Policy Subcommittee
Ø The review of the Sustainability Conference results was touched on.
Ø They are working on more “how-to” information with the Sustainability Icons.
Ø There will be more Website based Sustainability icons to learn more.
Ø They are looking at Green purchasing as a new education project.
Ø They are looking at going beyond employee education on energy savings issues in DENR.
· Sustainability Awards Subcommittee
Ø This time of year they are looking at organizing the Sustainability ideas provided by the last awards nominations. The goal is to share these ideas with other DENR agencies so they can save.
· Team Website & Communications Subcommittee
Ø 2 new documents have been added.
Ø There is a new meeting agenda pull down on the Team portal.
Ø They will work on a meeting minutes pull down for the Team portal.
· Recycling Subcommittee
Ø The DENR summer Book Exchange is scheduled for August 25th-26th in the Ground Floor Hearing Room. The Zoo Book Exchange and DENR winter Book Exchange left over books were offered for this event.
Ø 903 pounds of Techno trash recycling have been sent off so far.
Ø A plan is being formed to coordinate with orange Recycling during the Green Square office moves. It may be possible to do shredding events for the different division moves.
· Employee Training and Education Subcommittee – No Report
3:10 to 3:25 2011 Team projects – (discussion /ideas)
· Discussion to develop more employee living guides to fill in the gaps.
· The DENR and State data server consolidations were discussed. The Team is on the sidelines for this one but should pay attention to see what help DENR needs that we can provide.
· The Team gave DENR recommendations on print management for the Green Square. It included issues such as many DENR printers being leased, centralized printing pros and cons, tracking printing to save costs and printing education. The secretary’s office appears to have decided to keep things about the same. The Team still plans to work on education to save costs.
· The Motor Fleet Discussion was wrapped up. There is a federal push for more efficient/ economical cars. Also, Motor Fleet is banned from purchasing new cars for a long while.
· A new discussion started on Parking Challenges for field employees based in downtown buildings.
3:25 to 3:30 Homework assignments and Adjournment (All)
- John Seymour (DEAO) and Milli Hayman (DAQ) will begin work on a Team equipment inventory, for preparation to move to the Green Square team storage.
- Steve Kaufman (DLR) will work on putting the DENR USI reports on the Team portal when john Seymour can get it to him.
- Pat Powell will work on asking for funds for the next Team budget.
- Next meeting is… July 13, 2011
- Next meeting location is … at the “2728 Capital” Building, DAQ Training room
(Due to the delay of moving into the Green Square the next three meetings will also be at the “2728 Capital” Bldg. DAQ Training Room.)
Guideline 4) Use the Team to network and learn new stuff. Very often contacts in other divisions have information and resources that can help you with regular work.