RALEIGH – The N.C. Division of Environmental Health recommends the following preparations be made in advance of Hurricane Earl’s arrival:
- · Turn down the temperature in refrigerators and freezers so food will last longer once electricity is lost.
- Buy non-perishable ready-to-eat food to use once perishable food has been eaten or spoiled.
- Clean bathtubs, coolers, washing machines, etc. and fill with water to use for washing and flushing.
- Clean and fill pitchers, soda bottles, etc. with water for drinking and food preparation.
- Buy rubber gloves and anti-bacterial hand wipes or gels.
- Buy bleach for cleaning and to add to drinking water if wells flood or treatment plants lose pressure. Add eight drops of bleach per gallon of water and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Buy plastic bags for disposal of spoiled food and diaper waste. Seal bags tightly.
- Buy insect repellant and repair or replace screens with holes for the large numbers of mosquitoes that can occur several days after the storm.
For pre- and post-hurricane information, visit the division’s storm website at:http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/storminfo.htm.