RALEIGH - Five North Carolina National Estuarine Research Reserve and Coastal Reserve sites will be closed to visitors until further notice due to the threat of damage from Hurricane Earl, and to protect public safety from the potential risk of downed trees, flooding and other hazards. The sites being closed are:
· Currituck Banks National Estuarine Research Reserve near Corolla
· Kitty Hawk Woods Coastal Reserve in Kitty Hawk
· Emily and Richardson Preyer Buckridge Coastal Reserve in Columbia
· Buxton Woods Coastal Reserve on Hatteras Island
· Rachel Carson National Estuarine Research Reserve in Beaufort
Reserve staff will assess damage to the sites following the passage of Hurricane Earl, and determine when they will be reopened for visitor use.